Illustration Friday "TEA"
|This week's theme at Illustration Friday is "Tea". Here is my contribution:|
(Pst. It can be purchased here.)
My husband now knows I have a blog
|Only a few years later and my husband finds out I have a blog. Naturally, I've mentioned this to him, but no response. Either he didn't know what a blog was, or didn't want to know. But here is what he said when he read the 100 Things about Me:|
Silence until #35
Response to #35 - I firmly believe that croutons are evil pieces of dried bread.
HIM: I LOVE croutons!
ME: Yes, I know.
Response to #37 - I love misty, foggy, cold days. And frogs. But not those weird 1970’s figurines. Only the real live ones.
HIM: You like those weird 1970's figurines?
ME: No. I do NOT like those weird 1970's figurines. I like the REAL LIVE frogs.
HIM: What weird 1970's figurines are you referring to?
ME: I guess those weird (we used the word "weird" alot in this conversation.) pottery ones with the weird glazes.
ME: Like the ones with the big eyes. Like the ones that hold brillo pads in their mouth!
HIM: Oh yeah.
ME: But those are cool. I would totally have one of those.
Response to #41 - My husband and I met when I was a cocktail waitress wearing an outfit similar to a Playboy Bunny’s of the 60’s. He fell in love with me for my mind. Now he just wishes I would shut up.
HIM: Laugh. (No denying it. Just laughing.)
Response to #45 - I put on at least ten different outfits before I get dressed up to go out and then leave them on the floor until the next day.
HIM: This is SO true.
Response to #48 - I do not enjoy cooking. At all. Not even toast. If I can’t rip open a bag or box to nourish myself then forget it. Torture would be to watch the Cooking Channel.
HIM: REALLY?! The cooking channel would be torture for you?! (And he's seriously asking me this.)
ME: Um. Yeah. (Thinking where the hell has he been for the last 12 years?)
Response to #55 - I love, love, love red wine. Good thing I have a teetotaller husband. Not.
HIM: Teetotaller husband! Hmph.
ME: (He is! You can totally tell by the "Hmph".)
Response to #56 - Torture is to have to stand in line- Unless there are sparkly pretties dangling in front of me. Which weirdly enough, there never is.
HIM: There are pretty sparkly things at True Value Hardware when you stand in line.
ME: What? No there isn't.
HIM: Yes. The windchimes.
ME: Those don't count! I'm talking about BEjeweled things! (Not to be confused with BeDazzled.) Sparkly! *Rolling of eyes* Men! Windchimes. Ha!
Response to #59 - I have the most hideous driver’s license photo in all the world.
HIM: No you don't.
ME: Yes I do.
HIM: No you don't.
ME: I do.
Response to #68 - I’m a fishwife as well.
HIM: Nobody knows what a fishwife is but you.
Response to #69 - I believe that it should be a mandated and enforced law that one should not be allowed to comment or narrate during a movie while at the theatres.
HIM: You were really chatty the other night over at so and so's.
ME: That's because she's really chatty during movies, so I didn't even try. (And that doesn't even count. It was at somebody's house. NOT the movie theater. Duh.)
Response to #73 - I’m told I make Elvis faces/sneer when I put on makeup.
HIM: No, you make Elvis faces when you're concentrating on something. You puff out your lips when you put on make up.
ME: Oh. *Making Elvis face to think about it.
Response to #76 - I have the smartest and cutest kids on the planet. Really.
HIM: I thought you were going to say ME!
ME: I've already mentioned you a million times in this list.
HIM: Yeah, and you called me a teetotaller!
ME: (See how it's all about him?)
Response to #81 - My favorite bachelor was Andrew Firestone.
HIM: Andrew Firestone? I thought you didn't like him.
ME: No. I liked him.
HIM: No, you said he wasn't good looking. You liked some other guy . . .
ME: No. I liked him.
HIM: Are you sure?
ME: I'm sure.
HIM: Yeah, I don't know. I could have sworn you liked some other bachelor.
ME: Andrew. Firestone.
Response to #87 - My worst body part is my stomach. I look at chicks with belly rings with great envy.
HIM: Sympathy aaawwwws.
Response to #88 - I have many dreams that involve Noah Wiley, George Clooney and Justin Timberlake. Why Justin Timberlake, I’m not sure.
HIM: NOAH WILEY?!
ME: He's hot.
HIM: NOAH WILEY?!
Me: Yeah. He's HOOOOTTTTTTTT.
HIM: Chokes me.
(Click here. Pretend that Brad Pitt is Justin Timberlake and you are there with me in my dreams.)
Response to #89 - I don’t chew my fingernails, but my fingers are always in my mouth fiddling with my nails.
HIM: You do too bite your nails.
ME: No I don't.
HIM: Yes, you just don't tear your nails.
ME: See these? They're fingernails. I don't bite them!
Response to #92 - I am feisty if you screw with me.
HIM: I screw with you.
ME: Yes, and I'm feisty with you.
Response to #98 - Hard alcohol makes me psycho. I stay away from hard mixed drinks and shots.
HIM: You do to do shots!
ME: When? When have you seen me do a shot?
*Apparently that one time 12 years ago stuck in his mind . . . Which is why I stay away from hard alcohol.
Response to #100 - I cannot pronounce “tae kwon do” correctly. You would not believe how often this term comes up where I need to say it. Mainly just to torture myself. I’m incredibly hateful that way.
HIM: Yes you can! Say "Tae Kwon do"!
ME: (I say it really fast and blur the words so he can't tell what I'm saying. I want to pronounce it TWY-Kan-do. Now do you see? Now do you see how often "Tae Kwon Do" comes up in conversation? A lot more than you think!)
How very . . . Different
|Own a painting, print or other piece of art by me? Or just want to say "hi"? Please add yourself to the map!|
Illustration Friday "SONG"
|This is my submission to Illustration Friday's "SONG" theme (I have two of them!). |
Sweet Reverie can be seen and purchased here.
Reverie can also be seen and purchased here.
22 Doors tonight
|Don't know when, but I know tonight is the night I go to 22 Doors to pick up what is left of my paintings and prints. From what I've been told, there's not a whole lot left. Which means MOST OF MY ART SOLD! WhaHOOOO. |
I'm a bit nervous of what to expect, so I am bringing a tiny posse with me. It would help if you were there and stopped to say "Hi". It also wouldn't hurt to tell me how much more toned I look after two days of power yoga. If not, dangle pretty sparklies in front of me. That always helps.
Lula and I
100 things about me
|100 Things About Me:|
1. My favorite color is red.
2. My biggest pet peeve is people who smack their food when they chew. Or eat when while they are talking on the phone with me. Or slurp. Just yuck. No bodily noises. Please.
3. I want to be Cynthia Rowley when I grow up. (Only I'd never sew. Or do pattern making.)
4. I used to barrel race horses competitively. (And kickass.)
5. I firmly believe that lowrise stretch jeans are the best invention since pop tarts.
6. I have two small semi-hidden tattoos. On my ankle. So- Seasonally hidden.
7. I spill red wine in everybody’s house I go to. It simply means that I like you.
8. My favorite food is cheesecake . . . or Crispy Crème donunts. You can give me both.
9. I obsess about my body and food. (Which makes me very unique and individual because other women just don’t do that.)
10. I broke my nose breaking a horse when I was 13. It gave me two black eyes.
11. I am certifiably boy crazy over Irish guys (husband included).
12. I drive too fast.
13. I love Jewel. If I had a latent lesbian side, it would be all about Jewel. She rocks.
14. I am a secret agent. No. A secret double agent.
15. Halloween is my favorite Holiday.
16. Because my birthday is July 3, I’m almost always hung over for 4th of July festivities.
17. I am freakishly strong for a girl.
18. I used to be a neat freak. I now just have anxiety attacks instead.
19. I am an overachiever and squeaky wheel.
20. Team Aniston.
21. I dislike talking on the phone.
22. I am terribly impatient.
23. I prefer to ride horses bareback.
24. I’m afraid of heights and Donald Trump’s hair.
25. Rats and snakes do not scare me. Cockroaches terrify me.
26. Houseplants refuse to live in the same home as me. Those of the silk variety seem to tolerate me.
27. I grew up in rural Michigan. The best place EVAH to grow up.
28. At fourteen, we moved to Southern California. Not a good place to grow up as a teen.
29. I’ve attended eight universities and colleges.
30. I used to be funny. Then I got too busy.
31. I’m sarcastic but not cynical.
32. Dusk is my favorite time of day.
33. I love eBay.
34. We breed collie dogs. Rather, they mate among themselves. No bestiality going on here.
35. I firmly believe that croutons are evil pieces of dried bread.
36. I wish I could do nothing all day but read blogs . . . . Especially Go Fug Yourself and Miss Doxie’s journal. Damn that girl is FUNny.
37. I love misty, foggy, cold days. And frogs. But not those weird 1970’s figurines. Only the real live ones.
38. I like to ski. Don’t care much for the falling down part.
39. I prefer men to wear boxer shorts. Briefs are just wrong.
40. I volunteer once a week at my kids’ school in their classrooms. I’m also the school newspaper editor. I’m also head of other academic committees. (Refer to #19)
41. My husband and I met when I was a cocktail waitress wearing an outfit similar to a Playboy Bunny’s of the 60’s. He fell in love with me for my mind. Now he just wishes I would shut up.
42. I was a bartender through college.
43. I do not like camping in tents.
44. I support our troops. (Especially the ones that have to sleep in tents.)
45. I put on at least ten different outfits before I get dressed up to go out and then leave them on the floor until the next day.
46. I wear makeup every day regardless of whether or not I leave the house.
47. Thrift stores love me, and I love them. At least that’s what they tell me. But then I think they say that to all the shoppers.
48. I do not enjoy cooking. At all. Not even toast. If I can’t rip open a bag or box to nourish myself then forget it. Torture would be to watch the Cooking Channel.
49. Coffee is a must every morning.
50. I invented the Mullet. I took it away in the 90’s. Apparently not everybody got that memo.
51. My ankle goes out (or rolls) when walking. Especially in heels. I fall down much when dressed up.
52. Can’t stand to see pictures of myself.
53. I’m smart and sometimes witty, but not brilliant.
54. I can’t remember my times tables. Especially 6’s, 7’s, and 8’s. (Refer to #53)
55. I love, love, love red wine. Good thing I have a teetotaller husband. Not.
56. Torture is to have to stand in line- Unless there are sparkly pretties dangling in front of me. Which weirdly enough, there never is.
57. I collect cigar box purses and Occupied Japan demitasse cups.
58. I am the eldest of three girls.
59. I have the most hideous driver’s license photo in all the world.
60. My husband and I eloped to Las Vegas (I wasn’t even pregnant!)
61. It is my dream to rule the world. But admittedly, I'm not much of a leader.
62. I’m exceptionally uncomfortable when people talk about my art around me. Good or bad. Although I would cut them if they said something mean. I carry a knife for this reason.
63. I’m not a morning person.
64. I am not afraid of the dark.
65. I want to give the Olsen Twins a sandwich. And then not let them throw it up.
66. I can’t tell the difference between crystal and glass. I pretend that I can.
67. I yell at my computer a lot.
68. I’m a fishwife as well.
69. I believe that it should be a mandated and enforced law that one should not be allowed to comment or narrate during a movie while at the theatres.
70. I got kicked out of Costco for attempting to smuggle my 6 lb dog in my purse while shopping.
71. I much prefer the works of female musicians, artists, and authors. I’m admittedly sexist this way.
72. I’m allergic to perfume and penicillin.
73. I’m told I make Elvis faces/sneer when I put on makeup.
74. I never remember plays after I see them. I used to see a lot of plays. But it became pointless.
75. My favorite vacation spot is Catalina Island, CA.
76. I have the smartest and cutest kids on the planet. Really.
77. I absorb books and love to read. Until TIVO came along.
78. I am still depressed that Twin Peaks, Felicity, Six Feet Under, and Once and Again aren’t on the air any more.
79. I’m not a touchy feely person, but wish I were.
80. My favorite t.v. show is Gilmore Girls. Shut up.
81. My favorite bachelor was Andrew Firestone.
82. My upper lip sweats when I’m nervous.
83. I have a tendency of hyperventilating and fainting when having blood taken.
84. I have A-Negative blood type.
85. I believe in God.
86. Next to my wrists and ankles, my best body part is probably my legs.
87. My worst body part is my stomach. I look at chicks with belly rings with great envy.
88. I have many dreams that involve Noah Wiley, George Clooney and Justin Timberlake. Why Justin Timberlake, I’m not sure.
89. I don’t chew my fingernails, but my fingers are always in my mouth fiddling with my nails.
90. I cannot stand, and will gag on water chestnuts, snow peas, and green peppers.
91. I am terribly indecisive. Ordering at a restaurant takes me forever.
92. I am feisty if you screw with me.
93. There’s never enough time for me to do everything I want and need to do.
94. My quest in life is that I never have to wear oversized t-shirts and stretch pants with an elastic waist.
95. I have a herniated disk in the small of my back from a horseback riding accident at age fourteen.
96. I rarely get embarrassed.
97. Midori gives me hives. Does that not suck?
98. Hard alcohol makes me psycho. I stay away from hard mixed drinks and shots.
99. I have more than one person I call my best friend.
100. I cannot pronounce “tae kwon do” correctly. You would not believe how often this term comes up where I need to say it. Mainly just to torture myself. I’m incredibly hateful that way.
I've fallen and can't get up
|I'm a farm girl. I'm the one who mucks the stalls, shleps 50lb feed bags, and moves around 100+ lb bales of hay. I'm athletic, strong, and a former workoutaholic. I recently purchased Bryan Kest's Power Yoga DVD and an extra thick, extra long, state of the art red yoga mat. (My doctor and the web suggested this was the ultimate way to alleviate stress- Not the red mat, but yoga in general.)|
So, today was the day I started yoga.
Let me preface this by stating that I own every workout video known to man. Step aerobics, aerobics with weights, Reebox, pilates (Yuck. Resold on eBay.), Cindy Crawford, Elle McPherson, Cher, Jane Fonda, Denise Austin, and some skinny chick that has orgasms while lifting weights (Or so it seems. It's quite disconcerting). None of them kicked my ass as hard as Bryan did today. My muscles are goo. I want to crawl under the comforter and watch movies until my muscles work again. Like next week or so.
I suppose the relaxation part of it was a success. Too bad that life goes on whether or not my muscles want to work and there is laundry to be done, paintings to be painted, Valentine's Day crap to buy, insurance companies to be called . . .
Last night while I was visiting my friend, her stepfather backed into my car. Hard. This wouldn't suck half as much if this weren't the second time it happened in less than a year because I parked in the same place. But in my defense, I didn't even park behind anybody. I was already there when they arrived. It is a cursed parking spot. (Damn you, parking spot!)
And I have chunks of hair breaking off due to that one time that woman mistook me for Dontella Versace.
And no, I didn't win the wine label competition. Apparently humanized herons sitting at a table drinking wine won the competition. Watercolor to boot. (Or so rumor has it.) Man. Didn't see that one coming.
PS Bryan. I'm glad to see you cut your hair. Michael Bolton would be proud.
Illustration Friday "SIMPLE"
|Here is a SIMPLE sketch of "Lolita Angel" for this week's theme at Illustration Friday.|
As I mentioned before, I rarely sketch out a painting before I create it. This was a doodle in my sketchbook (I like to sketch but rarely do any more). Anyway, I liked her and turned her into a painting. Which is now a print.
Joey and I
|I had no idea. Simply no idea. People are actually visiting my blog. I haven't told anybody about it other than the link on the site (which I never pointed out to anyone) and then of course Illustration Friday. After adding the site stat counter to my journal, I realized that I'm being frequented, and frequented frequently. I guess this means I'd better shape up, keep ya'll informed on art, where's it going, and what I'm doing. The thing is though, that I pretty much go 90 mph every day. And no, I don't have that natural (or synthetic) kind of energy like some people who are all wiry, spastic, and cracked-out acting. I like to think that I act as though I have adult onset A.D.D., or a am just another blonde ditz. Take your pick. Only I'm not so blonde. I had burgundy chunks put in my hair, don't ya know? Ew. That didn't sound so good. How about dark red undertones? Chunks, um. Yeah. No. No chunks. Reminds me of high school and drinking games. |
(I'm thinking definitely adult onset A.D.D., aren't you?)
Right now I am working on a series of digital pieces geared more towards the punk and goth, with a twist of Renaissance Fair.
I will be at 22 Doors February 15th in the evening to meet and greet and pick up the last few remaining pieces of art. Please come and say "Hi". Stalkers and wierdos not invited. Sorry. I am bringing Guido the Killer Pimp with me just in case.
My art will be a part of UNCLAD March 17 - 19 in Stanwood, WA. It's an amazing exhibit with artists from across the country. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a nude that needs a shadow.
I am committee chair person of Afternoon of Art this Friday at Utsalady Elementary. I look forward to meeting some of the artists in person. Typically I am a participating artist, but this year I am learning how to take this program over (with Ramona of course!) So it is vr vr important that people like me. Not hate me. I come smiling.
Also, March 11 and 12th I will have art exhibited in the Stanwood Camano Spring Art Show. That is, if I remember to send my admittance fee in before the deadline. What was I saying about the A.D.D.? Oh yeah. I have it.
And then there's Joey and I. Here we are. (heh. Makes me laugh. I so do not look like this, but in a parallel universe . . . I DO.)
So it's okay if you're a lurker and not a poster. I now know that you're out there. Thanks for that. I feel special- but not special in that way. Well, actually I do kinda feel special in that way.
I luvs me free stuff
|The night before last we had a terrible wind storm which caused the power to go off and on all night. For once we were one of the lucky ones that actually had our power returned right away. So anyway, my computer didn't boot up the next morning. DIDN'T BOOT UP, YA'LL. Can you even imagine? So after much tinkering and calling the Compaq "tech support" to no avail (who wanted $45 to help me over the phone, and if that still didn't work, they were kind enough to take my computer and fix it for a mere $280. Um. No thanks.) I took it down to Nicholas Computer in little ole Stanwood and after a few vacuum sucks, he told me that it was merely the USB port shorting out the electrical power. SO NO CHARGE. Easy fix. Come again! AND THEN driving home. What should I see on the side of the road? A salt block! A FREE salt lick block just there for the taking. New and everything- Minus a few scrapes because it obviously fell out of some farmer's truck. (The thing is still in my car because the sucker weighs 50 lbs. Oy.)|
So then the rest of the day was spent at a friend's house sitting under comforters eating homemade french fries (with butter!) and chatting.
What a nice day I had.
Painting isn't just for canvas any more
|My husband likes to say that I've been a busy beaver (heh.) Here's what I have been busy with in between school committees, school newspaper editor, art shows, packaging orders, logo creations, and well, basically breathing and balancing that with life and thereof actually having one.|
Kitchen. I repainted the cupboards (They used to be dark brown but solid wood). I did the mosaic backsplash and counters by MYSELF. Yay me. (Which were underneath are the weirdest color of Formica yellow that only a hippy on a hella flashback could have thunk up.)
A basket of eggs from our own little chickens sits on my mosaic tile counter. My own self portrait painting (heh) with Joey hangs in the kitchen. (aka "Big Dummy". He makes me want to yank out his 'nads with my bare hands sometimes. Intact male dogs can be such complete flippin' idiots. Unlike those of human form, of course.)
The color of the sitting area outside of the kitchen in this photo is wrong. Very, vr wrong. I think the metallic wrap on the bistro table is throwing off the color. The floor is a yellow fir with three coats of brain-melting polyurethane which I applied myself. (It's all starting to make sense now, isn't it?) And let's just say that those cords aren't actually there- Even though I hooked up that there mo'fo phone line myself. Yeah, Verizon. $90 per line my ASS.
The china hutch that I repainted. All of my favorite pretties are inside. Most are sparkly. Most are my art pieces that other companies have licensed and given as promos. See the pretty little espresso tinks? I love them. They are here. (You must know French. I do not. So if they're talkin' smack, let me know.)
This china hutch was from two pieces given to me by two different families. Both were a hideous dark brown (vr vr 70's). I painted them a distressed yellow . . . Hard to tell but it has a slight metallic tint to it which throws off the camera's colors.
And then of course the rest of the rooms. But I'm done sharing for today.
Illustration Friday "CHAIR"
|This week's theme at Illustration Friday is "Chair". (?) This is an older piece I created quite a few years ago, but it has always been one of my favorites. I think because it evokes the most ethereal sense of calm for me. I need to be in this cabin. Alone. At night. With something warm in a cup to sip. However, that has yet to happen. No cabin- Not even something warm to sip at night. Hey now! That is just WRONG. At least I know now what my life has been missing. And snow too! No snow here! Just rain. At least the walls of my kitchen are the same color as these walls. You're scared now aren't you? I scare people. That's not easy to do with chair illustrations, let me tell you. |